One day trip to Shravanabelagola / Weekend Trip to Shravanabelagola from Bangalore


AN ENTHUSIASTIC TRIP TO SHRAVANABELAGOLA





What could be better than a fresh morning filled with chirping birds, enormous trees and refreshing light without any tension or fear? If you are thinking that this is how my Saturday morning started, then you are completely opposite because I had a terrible morning, my hair spread up, books over my face with hooting owls and croaking ravens and completely filled with fear and horror!!


Our tests were starting NEXT WEEK!!! I had a dozen to study and a million to work on! What could I do? All I could do was to stay calm and carry on. With all this happening around, nothing but some hot chocolate could cheer me up.


 The whole day passed in textbooks and notebooks with a few chips around (okay, haven’t you heard that people eat more when they are tensed?). But it seemed that my parents were having a fun time with me struck up in these books. Once it was eight o clock, I burst out of my room, snatching my mobile and sat at “the world’s most comfortable chair for me” chair (actually, my father’s chair is very comfortable for me, so just renamed it J) after a while, my father started to talk about some kind of trip with my mother. It looked like they were trying to attract my attention. However, the talk was about a trip to Shravanabelagola, a holy Jain temple. Suddenly mother gave such a reply that almost made me slip the mobile phone from my very own hands! She said, “how about tomorrow?”
   

SERIOUSLY!? Tomorrow? Didn’t they know about the fearful exams? I totally refused them for this. I told them that it would be better to go some other day. I ended this conversation and hurried to bed. Well… you know parents have to do whatever their children refuse(most of the time, duh!!) finally, it was decided that we were leaving all our tension and fear at home and enjoying the upcoming trip. Actually, it wasn’t a bad idea at all. After all, I could get some fresh air.

 That morning, we were ready to leave at 7:15. The journey was pleasant and didn’t have any grumbling stomachs for food as we had our breakfast before leaving. Finally, after a long journey, we had reached the parking lot at 10:15. How perfect! Three hours and we are here!  There is a place where you can keep your shoes and then proceed. I could see the head of the statue of Bahubali from the foot of the stairs. It was looking like a piece of cake before starting to climb, but later it felt a thousand steps which ascended to heaven!!



 The steps were carved on the mountain and had bars for support. After climbing for a while, we found few places made to rest ever fifty steps(I guess)soon then, we reached the first stop, Vadegal basadi. It had support pillars and was cool. Inside, there was a statue of 3 Jain Tirthankaras.


 





Right beside the structure of Vadegal Basadi, on the rocks, were carved some ancient scripts. They were covered by big slides of glass to protect them from the radiant sun and to preserve them for future generations.
 



After a few more steps, there was a dome-like structure supported by five pillars, four at the corners and one in the center. The center pillar was special as it was carved in a different manner than the other pillars. In fact, it was beautifully carved! And the view was good too.
  After having a few pictures, we continued climbing. Like this, we saw many carvings, we reached a temple-like structure. Yes! It was the entrance!   We entered the temple with great enthusiasm and tiredness(mostly my mom and dad!><) there was a dark shade caused by the shadow and we went forward for a better look. 

There stood the tall and high, one of the largest free-standing statue!! The statue of the Lord Gomateshawara (Bahubali) measures 17.4m (57 feet) tall. (I have been told it is 1000+-year-old single stone carved statue of Lord Gommateshwara.)There were many people from different countries who had come to this holy temple. On the mantapa, there were pictures of the other ten Thirthankaras who were religious Gurus of Jains. After having a Darshana, I noticed small writings on the stones. It was clear that they were the story of this particular Jain monks and their life.
This is the very place once in every 12 years Maha Mastakabhisheka happens.
 Inside the temple, we found the same Thirthankaras yet this time they were statues, not pictures. After having a round through the temple, we came out. 


There was a place the view was fantastic and there was a place to have some or plenty of rest. While my parents were gaining some energy back, the photographer in me rose. I took plenty of pictures and had fun over there. The view from the top really mesmerized me, Lake, coconut groves and ponds around with full greenery caught my attention.

  Later, we started to descend.  Well, it was as tough as climbing up, yet I warn you not to rush or hurry down as these are very narrow. It took us almost 20 min to reach the bottom of the Vindhygiri hill. Shravanabelagola has two hills, Chandragiri and Vindhyagiri. From top, we can see the beautiful Chandragiri hill, which is as beautiful as this. I and my mother sat nearby when dad was busy getting our shoes. I was exhausted and wanted to reach our car as soon as possible(to be honest, I really Adour our car, I can eat, watch my favorite show on YouTube, have a nap and enjoy!). On the way back to our car we saw some stalls and toy shops. I took a small yellow smiley face pouch as my souvenir to remember our wonderful trip.
 


Suddenly, my eyes caught sight of a chair with sticks. I wondered what it was used for. Later… I remembered that it was used to carry people who were not able to climb the uphill themselves. Could you name it? Let me know in the comments below.
 On the way back to our car, we saw some stalls and toy shops. I took a small yellow smiley face pouch as my souvenir to remember our wonderful trip. We even took a small jackfruit and some juicy mangoes. Finally I reached my comfy car and we set out to our home. On the way back we had a wonderful lunch at Swathi Delicacy which is good (actually, we were too hungry to judge the food) whenever you are hungry everything looks tasty.
 


  Friends, this is how my adventure comes to an end. Want to have some more fun with me? Then stay tuned for another whisker-licking-good adventure.
 Till then take care and be creative. Bye!!


 Things To Know:


 Distance from Bangalore: 145 km

Google Map:  Bangalore to Shravanabelagola

Things to Carry: Water, Hat

Advice: Leave early it will be easy to climb and you can be back by early evening.

Difficulty level: Medium
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

AN ENCHANTING TREKKING TRIP TO RAMANAGAR

ONE DAY DELIGHTFUL TRIP TO LAPAKSHI, VIDURASHWATH AND GHATI SUBRAMANYA

My one day trek to Shivagange Hills | Perfect day trip from Bangalore